- Dead Reckoning takes no account for the tide
- You should always use the correct symbols when plotting on a chart
- You should accurately plot on the chart within 1° of arc and depending on the scale of the chart within 0.1 mile which is also called a cable which is equivalent to around 200 yards.
- Marine bearing are always rounded to the nearest whole degree.
- Leeway is calculated for each leg of a passage. Its value constantly changes as you change point of sail.
- Always draw a wind arrow on the chart as helps you visualise which way to apply leeway.
- When answering in a question you should write down the latitude and longitude, this helps sharpen your plotting skills.